I have now completed my first year as a member of Brighton and Hove Camera Club. This post documents my first season of membership.
About the Club
- Brighton and Hove Camera Club (BHCC for short) was established in 1891.
- The club has 159 members at the time of writing.
- BHCC is one of the oldest and largest photography clubs in the UK.
- Membership currently costs £56 per annum.
- A two week trial is available for £6, refunded if you become a full member within eight weeks.
- The club meets every Tuesday evening at the Methodist Church Hall in Hove.
- The meeting season runs from September to May.
- During the summer months various photographic activities are organised.
- There is also a New Members Group (NMG for short).
- The NMG meets on selected Thursday evenings during your first season of membership.
During Covid-19 Lockdown the club had to suspend weekly meetings. But these were quickly replaced with fortnightly Zoom meetings which proved to be a great success. The club also has an active presence on various social media.
Club Meetings – Guest Speakers
Many of the Tuesday evening club meetings feature high calibre guest speaker photographers from all over the world.
That will give you some idea of the calibre of speakers the club attracts!
Member Critique Evenings
The other type of meeting held on Tuesday evenings are the highly popular Member Critiques.
Each member is invited to submit an image for constructive critique on the night. The submitted image can be a digital file, a print or both.
A guest judge or club member conducts the critiquing and awards a Gold, Silver, Bronze or Merit.
The club runs these Member Critiques instead of traditional competitions. The idea being that the feedback you receive is more constructive than a competition.
During my first season I submitted nine images and received five Silvers and four Golds. I’m very happy with that!
My Critique Submissions
Here are the images I submitted for critique and the results:
29.10.19 – “Whats Up?” – Silver
19.11.19 – Destitution” – Silver
05.12.19 NMG – “Down the Pub” – Gold
05.12.19 NMG – “Still Down the Pub” – Gold
14.01.20 – “Wistfully Preparing Lunch” – Gold
04.02.20 – “Crossing the Tracks” – Silver
25.02.20 – “Howler and the Docs” – Silver
10.03.20 – “Sunshine Stroll” – Silver
21.04.20 – “Calming the Baby” – Gold
A Sociable Bunch
I must say the club members are a very sociable and welcoming bunch and that makes the club something special. I have to give a shout out to Greig, Luis and David. We joined at the same time and have become firm friends. Within the club we are known as “The Back Row Boys”. I think this might be because……. we always sit at the back!
In conclusion, joining Brighton and Hove Camera Club has been one of the best photographic investments I have ever made!
I think membership is worthwhile for the complete beginner through to the seasoned professional photographer.
It doesn’t matter wether you shoot with a smartphone or the latest gear. In fact we rarely talk gear within the club.
Why not come and check us out?